Monday 1 June 2020

June 2020 IPMS Ottawa On-line WORKS IN PROGRESS

Welcome to IPMS Ottawa's first ever on-line WORKS-IN-PROGRESS SHOW & TELL, which allows club members to show off their incomplete works-in-progress despite not being able to attend group meetings.

Each member is invited to send in up to three photos of a model under construction, and some text.


THANK YOU TO ALL PARTICIPANTS !


Enjoy


Stalinets S-65
This was supposed to be a quick build and is progressing quickly but certain things had to be done!! The driver's controls were horrible, the foot pedals were just big square tree trunks and the control columns were as bad but round!? So they were all cut off carefully and replaced by more appropriate sized items. Now just to get the tracks painted and finish it off.
(editor's note: Over 37500 of the Stalinets Сталинец C-65 tractor were built by the Chelyabinsk Tractor Factory from 1937 - 1941. It was a farm tractor with a top speed of 7 km/h. The Soviet Army also used it for ultra-heavy gun towing and for tank recovery.)



SHENYANG J-16 (Hobby Boss)
The aircraft if part of the very successful SU-27 Flanker series, licence built by Shenyang Aircraft Corp. It is an all-weather multirole strike fighter. It is a variant of the SU-30 MKK.
The kit goes together well with little or no issues. It is an out-of-the-box effort. I chose the low-vis markings and followed the colours recommended in the instructions. In retrospect, I should have painted the model a little darker, as the low-viz markings are barely discernible. (Maybe that's the idea...) 
I used Gunze paints (to quote Randy 'God's paint') Sure wish it was still available in Canada. The afterburners are Vallejo paints, (metal line) and Alclad for the highlights.
There are a full range of ordinance to hang on the model. I chose the anti-ship missiles.  
A huge aircraft, and huge model, 45 cm from head to tail, with a 30 cm wingspan.  
Pay no attention to the base... (US carrier, WWII)
(editor’s note: The Shenyang Aircraft Corp J-16 entered service in 2013 and continues in production. It is a derivative of the illegally-copied Su-27 (the Chinese J-11) and the newer Russian Su-30MKK acquired under license. Over 135 are in service. Russia is still suing China for stealing intellectual property from the Su-27 kits supplied 20 years ago.)

Shenyang J-16 (Hobby Boss)

Shenyang J-16 (Hobby Boss)

Shenyang J-16 (Hobby Boss)

Shenyang J-16 (Hobby Boss)

1914 Mercedes (Lindberg)
Building this for a online group build. Lot of corrections to body and wheels required and some added engine details. 
Richard Tonge
1914 Mercedes (Lindberg)

1914 Mercedes (Lindberg)

1914 Mercedes (Lindberg)

AVRO ARROW
I’ve been building since I was in my single digits (over 45 years), and recently joined IPMS Ottawa after having competed at CapCon for the last 10 years.  This is one of my si!) COVID19 in-progress builds, Hobbycraft Canada’s CF-105 Arrow in 1:72 scale.  It’s a conjectural "What If" subject...what would an Arrow have looked like a decade into service? Spoilers: pretty much like the prototypes, but with a natural metal finish and late-1960s RCAF markings. To keep things simple, I'm building it straight out of the box but will be mounting it on a simple display base I've constructed. My version will depict an Arrow assigned to 428 Fighter Sqn, right here in Ottawa (Uplands, to be precise)…although 428 Sqn was disbanded in 1961, in my world of "what if?", it was kept intact and replaced its CF-100 Canucks with the CF-105 Arrow.
I've spent a lot of time sanding and filling seams, and scribing a few extra panel lines on the wings and fuselage that Hobbycraft seems to have overlooked. I've also painted the tiny cockpit and figures. True to my intention of building straight from the box, no effort at detaining here was done at all; in fact, I'd describe the paint job as "impressionistic” because virtually none of this will be visible through the tiny, tiny windows (yeah, I masked those off too). Unfortunately, I have to vary a bit from my "no changes/no details" plan, as the kit pitot tube (itself a bit on the thick side) broke while I was trying to removed the thick molding seam lines. As a result, I will be replacing it with a straight pin.  Next up will be priming and painting with Vallejo Metal Colors…my first attempt at a natural metal finish. I will be augmenting the kit decals with a set of 1:72 Belcher Bits CF-101 decals, and I’ve printed out a few additional decals of my own design to add to the mix: some black and white rudder stripes (which I may not use) and some “Death’s Head” squadron markings. The kit will be displayed “in flight” on a simple homemade base.
Tim Utton





RF-86 HAYMAKER (Hasegawa)
Here is my delinquent blitz build that I am still working on. The Model is a 1:48 Hasegawa Sabre that I am finishing as an RF-86 Haymaker. 
The cheeks are resin and they represent the fairings over the large cameras that were in this plane. The base paint is the new Tamiya lacquer paint and it sprayed beautifully. I masked off a couple panels and sprayed Alclad II dark aluminium. Next up are the yellow stripes. I have to paint those on. Wish me luck.
Chris Wallace. 
(Editor’s note: In early 1954 the USAF converted at least eight  F-86F aircraft to high-speed reconnaissance aircraft under “Project Haymaker”. The large bulges accommodated film magazines for the vertical cameras which took up the space formerly used by the guns. The USAF painted on gun ports. The aircraft were used by the 15th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron on illegal spying missions over the USSR, DPRK and PRC territories through the 1950s until replaced by the U-2.) 





Hellcat Mk I (Eduard 1:48)
I pulled this model of the shelf for the Hobby Link International Shelf Queen Group Build. I started this model in September 2016, along with the companion Hellcat Mk II model of Eduard’s Hellcat Dual Combo kit.  I worked on both kits off-and-on until May/June 2017 where I completed the cockpit, closed up the fuselage and mounted the wings and tail surfaces. At which point, SQUIRREL!! I got re-inspired during the 2017 Christmas season on both Hellcats as well as a Corsair Mk I. However, the Hellcat Mk I, and the Corsair became shelf queens again while I focused on finishing the Mk II for Heritagecon 12 at the end of March 2018. In April 2020, while waiting on paint to dry on another kit, I pulled it off the shelf to progress it…
The first image shows what had been completed before becoming a Shelf Queen in 2018.
The next image is after the gloss coat had been sprayed and decals were being applied.
In the last image, I have begun the panel lining. This involves applying Tamiya Panel Liner - Brown.  The gloss coat at this stage allows the dried excess to be removed with minimal staining. I have not yet started the panel lining on the top of the aircraft.
Bill Eggleton



Pz I COMMAND TANK (Dragon)
1:35 scale Pz.1 tank has been on my Shelf of Doom and I'm slowly finishing it and trying to mock up a display. May have it outside a French farm with chickens walking around. I have added weld beads using Bondo spot putty. This technique always looks HUGE on the unpainted model but  blends in in an acceptable manner when the model is painted. 
Ian MacAuley
Pz I Command tank (Dragon)
A.A. CRUSADER TANKS
Two Crusader tanks, both AA variants; one from the box, basically, and the other a major conversion to a triple barrelled gun turret. The twin has the plastic barrels replaced by the superb Master Models turned brass/etch replacements! The second has the plastic turret replaced by mostly etch from Dan Taylor Modelworks (special edition) to allow the modeller to create one of the approx 25 conversions made before D-Day. The one I will finish with was called 'Eezy Dozit' and landed and guarded Juno Beach!
002 is triple gun & others are twin turret.





MOSQUITO Mk.IV (HK Models)

One of my ongoing, long-term projects is a HK Models 1/32 de Havilland Mosquito Mk.IV (kit #01E015), built as a pathfinder aircraft from RAF 627 sq.  Mossies from that squadron acted as pathfinders for my father’s Lancaster squadron (RAF 106 sq.), dropping flares minutes before the bombers arrived on target.  I chose the HK Models kit, their original new release of the 1/32 Mossie.   I have spent a LOT of time detailing the cockpit using several detail sets, and following other online builds for ideas.  I plan to pose the model with the port fuselage half removed, so all my efforts are not hidden. 
Full build:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/eyXcyR3LmUa1vpSB9 
Glenn Cauley, IPMS Ottawa.






ŠKODA 42cm M.1917 HEAVY SIEGE HOWITZER (Takom)
One of my WIP projects that I recently resurrected is a Takom 1/35 Škoda 42cm M.1917 Heavy Siege Howitzer (kit #01-2018) as it was used in the Siege of Sevastopol (USSR) in 1942. I had started the kit years ago and completed construction, but when painting it things went badly and I had to remove the paint  & scrub it down. It was shortly thereafter banished to the Shelf of Doom. Recently a friend started to build his, so I figured "What da heck" and started to work on mine again. This time I used different paints (AK Real Colors lacquer acrylics), and it is going MUCH better than the first attempt. 
Full build:  https://goo.gl/photos/iXSKbs62wiBkJQVS7 
Glenn Cauley, IPMS Ottawa.
(editor's note: the Takom kit box art features two of these guns firing at Sevastapol, yet in reality the nazis had only a single Skoda M.1917 42cm gun in their entire arsenal - call it artistic license.)







C62 STEAM LOCOMOTIVE (Arii/Otaki)
The kit was bought used at the 2013 CAPCON, and has been calling me ever since. In 1:50 scale it is huge. Work is ongoing, and right now the running gear is being assembled. I say assembled as there is brass hardware involved. This is Japanese finest steam locomotive, and five are preserved in museums, including the first two built which are now in Kyoto where one still runs.
John Clearwater




MiG-29 WOODEN DECOY
During the NATO air war against Serbia, the Serbian Air Force built six plywood MiG-29 aircraft in order to draw missile attacks. The full scale models were covered in tinfoil and had burning kerosene underneath in order to have a radar and heat signature. Five were totally destroyed by a couple of very expensive missiles each, and one survives in a museum.