Saturday 2 October 2021

October 2021 IPMS Ottawa On-Line SHOW & TELL

Welcome to IPMS Ottawa's ongoing monthly SHOW & TELL, which allows club members to show off their completed work despite not being able to attend group meetings. Each member is invited to send in up to three photos of a model and some explanation. October marks our fifteenth (15th) on-line show & tell. We thank all of our members and builders for keeping alive the hobby. All entries are always welcome.

The new & used model kit car boot sale and swap meet at Hobby Centre last Sunday was the first such sale in Ottawa for over a year and a half. Many Many IPMS Ottawa members were present both buying and selling. It was a great day and a great event. Thanks to Bill C. at Hobby Centre for hosting this in his parking lot.

THANK YOU TO ALL PARTICIPANTS, and KEEP BUILDING. 

! Miniature world domination !

Enjoy our show, and we all hope to meet again soon.



STRANGE MODEL OF THE MONTH

TUNA
This is a very odd plastic scale model of a tuna fish which was for sale in a sushi restaurant in Japan. The chunks of meat are removeable. The kit comes with a sword-like fish knife (below belly of model). At only 700 yen I really should have bought it.

plastic model of tuna and tuna steaks



FINISHED MODELS


1929 FORD MODEL A RACING CAR (AMT)
I built this model for a competition one of my online clubs had started. The theme involved vehicles that would compete in The Race of Gentlemen, which is vintage drag racing, held on a beach in New Jersey in October. Cars have to be pre-World War II, with no visible components later than 1953. The Body, engine, and chassis are from an AMT 1929 Ford roadster kit, with wheels from a Revell 1937 Ford pick-up. Exhaust is modified from the kit part, interior is detailed with various kit and aftermarket bits. I had planned to wire it, but ran out of time. I don't like the finish on the hubcaps, so I will be removing them and sanding down the sprue nibs, which I should have done during construction! (stupid deadlines...) Enjoy!

1929 Ford Model A racing car

1929 Ford Model A racing car

1929 Ford Model A racing car

1929 Ford Model A racing car

Fv-651 Salamander Mk 6 Crash Tender (ACE 1:72)
Nicely detailed emergency vehicle, Built SOB.
FV-651/652 Salamander is a 6X6 Airport Crash Tender with off-road capabilities, developed in 1956. It shares the same common Alvis six-wheel-drive chassis and other components with the FV 601 Saladin AC and FV 603 Saracen APC. Fire fighting equipment was provided by The Pyrene Company Limited. They could produce 7,500 gallons of foam per minute and carried a crew of 6. 125 Salamanders were built and used in the Royal Air Force and Royal Canadian Air Force.
Michael Roy

Fv-651 Salamander Mk 6 Crash Tender

1958 Alvis Mk 6A crash tender


NIEUPORT 17 XVII C.1 in RUSSIAN SERVICE (Eduard 1:48)
The Imperial Russian Air Service Nieuport 17 XVII C.1 s/n 4187 flown with the 22 KAO  (air detachment organic to an army corps) in September 1917 just before theRussian Revolution. 
Never has a kit caused me this much agony. Near the end of the build I crushed the model while holding pressure on the wings to allow the CA glue to set on the struts. This was also my first attempt at rigging, but only the tail section is rigged. Decals sit nicely on a coat of Future floor wax. There are about 25 photo etch parts in the build; almost all of them tiny and easy to lose. The masks provided were of very poor quality. Basic colour is Vallejo acrylic aged white.

Nieuport 17 XVII C.1 s/n 4187
Nieuport 17 XVII C.1 s/n 4187
Nieuport 17 XVII C.1 s/n 4187
MiG-3 Микоян и Гуревич МиГ-3  (Classic Airframes 1:48)
This is the MiG-3 Микоян и Гуревич МиГ-3 presented as flying with the 12 Guards IAP of the Moscow Air Defence (PVO) in March 1942, and bearing the title За Партию Большевиков "For the Party of the Bolsheviks".
The kit comes with resin cockpit and a small panel of PE parts, There are far too many PE parts, and all are small or tiny. The cockpit alone has some 13 PE parts. Each landing gear has four PE parts. The canopy is a single vacuform part which I cut in three so it could be left open to show off the disaster I created in the cockpit. I also added a screen grill in the underside air intake, and put in a metal pitot tube and strung stretched sprue as radio wire. Paint for the body is mosly Tamiya, while most other colours are Vallejo. I bought this as a used kit from Bill at Hobby Centre in Ottawa. It was a stalled Covid-19 project which all of a sudden looked attractive.

MiG-3 Микоян и Гуревич МиГ-3
MiG-3 МиГ-3
MiG-3 МиГ-3
T-55 MAIN BATTLE TANK (Trumpeter 1:35)
This is a T-55 main battle tank in Soviet Army service as built in the mid-production years by the Kharkiv Locomotive Factory (ХПЗ KhPZ), This was arguably the finest and most durable tank to emerge from WWII/Great Patriotic War. Several western tanks and anti-tank weapons were designed specifically to combat the T-54/T-55. Thousands of these tanks remain in service around the world.
The model is a Trumpeter kit of an Israeli army Tiran Ti-67 tank (#MM00339) which was a rebuild of the T-54/T-55 tanks captured from the Egyptian army and re-engineered for desert warfare. I removed all the upgrades and Israeli features to return the model to the way the T-55 would have looked in about 1966 when it formed the bulk of the Soviet Army armoured forces. The tank is named Kолхозник (Kolkhozhnik), or Collective Farm Worker, and this name appears on the rear of the turret.
Paint is all Vallejo greens, washes and powders. Decals, brief as they are, are from another armoured vehicle. The only problem with the kit was that the rubber tracks were badly warped and bent, and nothing I did fixed the kinks. In the end I positioned the tracks in such as way as to be able to glue the worst kink to the road wheel and hide the bend. I had to cut off the large infra-red covered lamp and reposition it to match the angle of the main gun. I added a wooden log on the rear plate, and a wound metal wire tow cable on the bow plate.
T-55 main battle tank

T-55 main battle tank
T-55 main battle tank


WORKS in PROGRESS


Skoda M1916 305mm seige howitzer (Tacom 1:35)
This is a WIP as there is not yet a base with a ramp for bringing up the 400 kg shells on a dolly. These were used by the Austro-Hungarian empire's armies against the Imperial Russian Armies. Thanks go out to Glenn for this great kit from the swap meet.





JASON GIRL
Meet Jason Girl, an anime-stylized, female-parody figure model of the serial killer from the slasher film series Friday the 13th.  The first picture is taken from the GK Models website and shows what Jason Girl should look like when completed. As is typical with GK Models kits, there are no instructions, just several photos of the completed figure. Luckily, the kit consists of only 33 resin parts, including the base and fit together very intuitively and fit very well. I started the kit in June as part of a Halloween Group Build on the Hobby Link International forums. While I started in June, I was distracted with other projects and only got back to serious work in September.

The first thing with resin kits is the clean-up. The clean up process was fill & sand, prime, inspect, repeat…repeat and repeat. Once I was happy with the parts clean up I assemble the main figure and the coat. I then repeated and repeated and repeated, etc the clean-up process …I think I went about 3-4 rounds before I was happy with the overall figure. My primary goal was to make sure the skin areas were smooth and showing no blemishes after priming. One of the most troublesome spots were the collar bones and between the breasts where resin had pooled, likely due to air bubbles in the molds.  This is where the AK Fibreglass Sander comes in handy. Note that I wasn’t as concerned with the clothing; in this scale the clothing texture would be visible and in ragged condition, well at least the coat. Given the fashion trends these days, the pants may have been manufactured with all the rips.

Once I was happy, I tacked on the jacket, shirt, and hair. Then I placed the figure under a light to see where the shadows fell and took photos for later reference. I then began to add some colour. I reprimed the skin areas with Mr Surfacer 1500 White. Then shooting upwards from the feet and working up towards the head, I sprayed the flesh areas with Mr Color Coral Pink. I also sprayed the areas that are in shadow, like under the back of the coat and hair, with the Coral Pink. Then shooting downwards from the head and working towards the feet, I sprayed with Mr Color Milky Peach onto the flesh areas. I also dusted the Coral Pink with the Milky Peach as well.  After these layers had cured, I mixed a bit the Coral Pink into the Milky Peach and with low pressure and a 0.18 mm needle I sprayed the shadow areas; I repeated this with the highlight area but with Mr Color White added to the Milky Peach. This added more definition to the shadows and highlights. Note so far, I have only used the airbrush. The next steps will be to bring out the face and add more definition to the abs and neck, but this will be brush work. You’ll not some chipping on the face, I attempted to add a bit of colour to the cheeks, but I hadn’t cleaned the brush properly and it became grey blotches in stead of rosy cheeks. I wiped the paint off, but it also messed up the face. I will need to sand, reprime, and repaint the cheeks and nose before proceeding.

While I was waiting on the flesh colours to cure, I started on the shirt and jacket. The shirt is Mr Color Bright Blue lightened with Mr Color Light Grey (FS36495). I’ve sprayed highlights created by adding white to the blue colour.  I still need to work in the shadows.  For the jacket, I did an overall coat of AK Real Color Dark Tan.  I then added AK RC NATO Brown to the Dark Tan and sprayed the deep shadows. Adding more Dark Tan to the mixture, which I sprayed to the lesser shadows. Given the way the jacket billows away from the figure, I sprayed the darker colour on the upper portions of the underside, moving to lighter shadows towards the underside edges. With the outside, back of the jacket I sprayed the darker shade closer to the middle of the curl in the jacket and the lighter along the shoulders and the bottom of the jacket.  I still need to work in the highlights on the jacket.

Given the earthy and darker tones in this piece, I want to add bit of colour. The shirt was one area. Another area I decided was the tips of Jason Girl’s hair. After spraying the hair pieces with a mixture of Model Master (yes, I have a few bottles lying around) Raw Umber and Raw Sienna, I then thinned down for airbrushing some Violet artist oil paint and sprayed the tips of the hair pieces. I want to deepen the purple a bit more. Once I am finished with the face details, I will fit the hair pieces in place and then work up the hair with washes and dry brushing to bring out the details.

In the pictures of my build up, the shirt, jacket and hair are only temporarily fitted.

I really hope I finish this before Halloween but given that this is the first large scale figure I’ve attempted, I am not going to rush it...even if I don’t finish by the deadline. 
Bill Eggleton

Jason Girl

Jason Girl

Jason Girl

Jason Girl

CANADIAN ARMY LEOPARD 2A6 MAIN BATTLE TANK (Dragon 1:72)
Painted but not assembled. It is being sent to a friend who cannot paint but who wants to build a Leopard tank. So I spray-painted the sprue and parts for him using Tamiya Field Grey acrylic.