Monday 1 February 2021

February 2021 IPMS Ottawa On-Line SHOW & TELL

Welcome to IPMS Ottawa's ongoing monthly SHOW & TELL, which allows club members to show off their completed work despite not being able to attend group meetings. Each member is invited to send in up to three photos of a model and some explanation. February marks our tenth (10th) on-line show & tell. We thank all of our members and builders for keeping alive the hobby. This month’s theme is Everything is Welcome So Build Anything for Enjoyment.

THANK YOU TO ALL PARTICIPANTS, and KEEP BUILDING. 

! Miniature world domination !

Enjoy our show, and we all hope to meet again soon.


MAIN ENTRIES


Avro 671 Rota Mk.I RAF autogyro (MiniArt 1:35)
After the crash and burn of another model build -- I don't want to talk about it -- I wanted to build something unique and OOB (out-of-box)... or at least as close to OOB that my brain/personality would allow. I thought it would be an aircraft this time around... a MANNED aircraft with a <gasp!> cockpit!  (Contrary to popular belief, I do not just build unmanned drones.)  When my gaze fell upon a MiniArt 1:35 autogyro kit, I thought to myself, "What an odd looking beasty... I must build it!" The Cierva C.30 autogyro is of Spanish origin, built under contract by several companies in the late 1930s. I chose to build mine as an Avro-built RAF trainer (1939-1940). I had never built a MiniArt kit before, though I had heard good things about them. I must say I was suitably impressed with the kit quality and detail. The front radial engine went together easily, though I did break my promise of an OOB build when I added sparkplug wires... it was just crying out for them, really!  When building the fairly simplistic cockpit, it afforded me the opportunity to try some different colour modulation and weathering techniques to mimic a well-used (but not dilapidated) trainer. Assembly of the fuselage was very straightforward, and I added a steering mechanism for the tail wheel (this is a tail dragger). Even the very spindly main landing gear presented few assembly problems and the molding of the very fine parts was exceptionally well done. I built the rotor head assembly, but kept it aside until the very end. After priming, I turned to my current favourite paint line -- AK Real Colors lacquers -- and they performed brilliantly (highly recommended). Applying the huge number of decals -- a total of NINE (I know, I am glad to have survived that ordeal) -- took a short evening. Then came the decision to clearcoat different areas in either satin or flat (for metal or fabric-covered areas, respectively). The final part was weathering, and this is where the model really started to look good. I used sponge effects for light chipping and flaking on the metal areas, then oil paint filters for colour modulation (brushed-on and splatters), and finally some pinwashes to make details pop. At the end, I installed the rotor head assembly and added the rotor blades in the transport position. When finished, I can honestly say that I am very happy with the result. And it is also a personal achievement in that this is the first manned aircraft model which I have completed in my adult life -- I have finished many UAVs and even started some other manned aircraft but never finished them. All in all it was a very fun build, highly recommended for anyone looking for a quirky subject. The full build can be found here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Re1WtMq1mYbizkD79 
Glenn Cauley
Avro 671 Rota Mk.I RAF autogyro

Avro 671 Rota Mk.I RAF autogyro


Khador heavy warjacks (Privateer Press 30mm)
These four heavy warjacks are the latest addition to my ever-growing Khador collection from Privateer Press. 30mm scale or approximately 1/56. They are all based on the Juggernaut chassis -- a powerful, heavily-armoured steam-powered robot, most effective under the guidance of a well-trained Warcaster.
Here, I have:
2 Juggernauts (ice axe & open fist, center)
1 Destroyer (axe & cannon, viewer's left)
1 Decimator (saw & gun, viewer's right)
These were built and painted assembly-line style -- done all at once instead of one after the other. Painted with acrylics -- the pink and purple were laid down with the airbrush, then everything else was done by brush, then I finished with some glow effects done with the airbrush at the end. Bases were textured with textured artist mediums mixed with paint, then washed and dry brushed. Fairly simple models, but these were the only things I managed to finish this month due to running into unforeseen issues or a lack of motivation on everything else on my workbench.
Brian LaTour
Khador heavy warjacks

OBJECT 703, ИС-3M, IS-3M HEAVY TANK (Trumpeter 1:35)
Object 703, ИС-3M, IS-3M (Ио́сиф Ста́лин Iosef Stalin-3) heavy tank was the product of a competition between the Kirovskiy Factory No. 100 in Tankograd in Chelyabinsk (Кировский Завод No. 100), and the Chelyabinsk Tractor Factory (ЧТЗ Челябинский тракторный завод) in late 1944. The final version incorporated design aspects from both teams. The first three production tanks (project name Kirovets-1) were delivered in May 1945 and sent immediately to Berlin, but arrived after the Nazi scum had been defeated. The tanks took part in the Berlin victory parade and the Moscow victory parade. 
The model has been done as a tank of the 71st Guards Heavy Tank Regiment of the 2nd Guards Tank Army posted in the western USSR on the Polish border in 1960.
This is the Trumpeter 1:35 scale model (#00316) from 2002. The vinyl rubber-band tracks have great detail, but were too long, so I cut out one link on each side and used an office stapler to re-attach the loop. This worked perfectly, and the staples are painted black and hidden under the dust skirt. I added ten metal handles on the turret as the plastic ones do not fit to the holes. Also, I added glass to the headlights, and added metal protectors over the headlights. The machine gun has the sighting plate drilled out, and two holes drilled through the sides of the muzzle brake.
Paint is Tamiya XF-26 Deep Green, with an overspray of mixed X-8 Lemon Yellow and deep green with thinner; then an overspray of yellow and white with mostly thinner. This was my first attempt at spraying thinned yellow onto a paint job, and I was happy with the results. Decals sit on a layer of Future Floor Wax and used a bit of Solvaset to settle into the moulding of the cast turret so the crest and hull numbers take on a true painted look. The whole thing is matted down using a few coats of Vallejo clear matte. Dust and dirt are rubbed on Vallejo powders. I like tanks with track skirts as those hide my building errors.
John Clearwater
Object 703, ИС-3M, IS-3M heavy tank

Object 703, ИС-3M, IS-3M heavy tank

Object 703, ИС-3M, IS-3M heavy tank

Curtiss SB2C Helldiver (Monogram 1:48)
Started this kit 6 months ago and worked on it for a day but got frustrated with the wing-folding mechanism and put it away. I dug it out a couple of weeks ago and finished it that day. Decided to forgo the folding wing thing and built it with it folded.
Marc Racine
Curtiss SB2C Helldiver

Curtiss SB2C Helldiver

Curtiss SB2C Helldiver

Etrich Taube (Flashback Models 1:48)
Ever spend 15 hours rigging a kit? Just finished a superb 1/48 Flashback Models kit. Interior was not overly detailed so I added framing and other little bits like wire wheels and rubber plumbing O-rings for tires as the kit did not supply them.
Marc Racine
Etrich Taube

Etrich Taube

Etrich Taube

LFG Roland D.II. (Cramer 1:48)
A challenging vacuform build, kit had only 11 parts so I guess you could consider it a scratch built.
Marc Racine
LFG Roland D.II. 

LFG Roland D.II.

LFG Roland D.II.

Fokker Dr.I.  (Meng 1:32)
Flown by 10-victory German ace Werner Steinhauser. He flew 2 Dr.1's, this was his first one, the second having a yellow fuselage band with red "X's", the opposite of the early one. He flew in Manfred von Richthofen's Jasta 11, this plane was at Avesnes-le-Sec, February 1918. His second Dr.1 was at Cappy in April 1918, where Richthofen took off from on that fateful day on the 21st. After downing a balloon with FA(A) 261, Steinhäuser joined Jasta 11 at the end of 1917. He was wounded in action and forced to land on 17 March 1918. Having scored ten victories, he was killed in action in June 1918 when his Fokker DR.I was shot down over Neuilly.
Marc Racine
Fokker Dr.I.  

Fokker Dr.I. 

Fokker Dr.I. 

SNIPE SALOON (Ace 1:72)
This kit was mentioned in the Jan issue as in progress, well here it is finished!!
The Snipe Saloon was a sporty little car for those days, carrying an inline 6 cylinder engine, but I don't think the General was interested in racing!? You can see the 3 star plate on the car and General Dempsey was in charge of the British 2nd Army, and part of this force was the Canadian Army commanded by MGen Keller. This group was involved in the battles for Caen, the Carpiquet airport and closing the Falaise Gap, where the Polish forces attached to this group took the brunt of this battle! The Group turned left from here and moved up the coast, the Allies needed deep water ports for re-supply efforts to all the Armies and Antwerp was one of these targets. At the northern end of the coast they turned right and crossed the Rhine into Germany, Dempsey was the first General Officer to make this crossing! I believe he first crossed in a boat so don't know if he still had his Snipe or not??
The kit is From Ace who have improved their efforts in the last few years and now produce some excellent kits, mostly all 72nd and from the Great Wars to the modern era. It went together very well but one has to 'test fit' at almost every stage to ensure perfect joints. An earlier version of this vehicle ( almost like a half ton truck) is in the shelf queen area and I must get a wrecker to pull it out so I can finish it!! There is also a 'Woodie' version ( on the bench ) which will be presented in the 'in progress' section. To finish the line Ace is planning the convertible version complete with a figure of Monty, who liked the Snipe for getting aboot. Finished with Xtracolour paint and kit decals, highly recommended!! It is lightly weathered since it was a General Officer's staff car!
Graham Mansell
Snipe Saloon

Snipe Saloon

Snipe Saloon

CMP HOLMES WRECKER (Mirror Models 1:xx)
The Mirror Models C60S Canadian military pattern Holmes Wrecker of the light aid detachment of first Canadian Division in Holland 1945.
Kit was complex but nicely molded and has complete engine and suspension. 
Rigging of jib booms wasnt as bad as expected. Added JBot decals, petrol cans, digging tools, headlight lenses, camo net, water cans etc. Finished tamiya olive drab with black wash and flat clear. Note the allied stars askew because were Canadian! 
Ian Moore 
Holmes Wrecker

Holmes Wrecker

Taylorcraft Auster Mk V (AZ 1:xx)
The Az kit of the Taylorcraft Auster Mk V. with the Lycoming engine used by the royal Canadian army 664 coop squadron in France 1945. For artillery spotting and liaison .   
The az kit is nicely molded but the interior cockpit framing is very fiddely and makes the installation of the large glassworks of the cockpit rather difficult.  
Decals were kit supplied and paint was Tamiya dark earth /green to the standard pattern. 
A delicate kit and a nice comparison to the older Airfix Auster Mk.VII
Ian Moore. 
Taylorcraft Auster Mk V

Taylorcraft Auster Mk V

Fairchild Argus (AVI 1:xx)
RCAF. Fairchild Argus F24. #4809.  Trenton Ontario 1942
The Avi kit of the Argus/Forwarder comes with Lycoming or Ranger inline engine. The RCAF  versions used the Ranger engine. These were light utility and liaison aircraft. 
The kit has small but detailed interior. The complex struts and landing gear were not easy to assemble correctly. The fit of the small cockpit windows was also difficult.
Decals were from the kit with supplemental numerals from spares.  
The finish was natural doped aluminum Vallejo. 
Ian Moore. 
Fairchild Argus F24

Fairchild Argus F24

Beaufighter TF X (Airfix 1:72)
This model represents a Beaufighter TF X of 404 (Buffalo) Squadron in the late summer of 1944 when it was based at Davidstow Moor. LZ451 EE M was the one used by WC A.K. Gatward, the squadron commander, although it was also flown by other pilots. Gatward was the Beaufighter pilot who, in 1942, flew a single ship low level mission to Paris to strafe a daily German parade down the Champs-Élysées. This was unfortunately late that day but he and his navigator, Sgt Gilbert 'George' Fern, dropped a tricolour over the Arc de Triomph and shot up the Kriegsmarine headquarters.  LZ451 is a large part of the Beaufighter article in Carl Vincent’s book Canadian Aircraft of WW II, with many useful pictures. 
The Airfix kit is excellent, both in engineering and fit; as always problems in the build or deficiencies in the result were entirely of my own making. I added various antennae including the whip one aft of the cockpit (which really was that long) and a rear view mirror.  I replaced the 60 lb. HE rockets with aftermarket 25 lb. AP ones, as whittling down the heads of those in the kit to achieve symmetrical and consistent results proved beyond my ability. As in the photos, the rails were staggered in inclination (to get the desired spread of the salvo).  Decals from Extradecal. 
I tried to obtain the worn look of the extra dark sea grey upper surface colour by using three slightly different manufacturers’ paints – all of which purported to be dark sea grey (to simulate the fading of EDSG). The garish red primer paint around the cannon ports, which reminds one of the Joker’s use of lipstick, really was that extensive in the photos.
This model will be paired with my Blenheim IVf in my tribute to 404 Squadron. 
J.G.
Beaufighter TF X of 404 (Buffalo) Squadron

Beaufighter TF X of 404 (Buffalo) Squadron

Beaufighter TF X of 404 (Buffalo) Squadron

CF-100 Canuck (Hobby Craft 1:72)
I didn't know much about the CF-100, so I resolved to fix that by building this kit.
I make my models in flying configuration, so no landing gear to bother with, just the doors. There were no after-market parts readily available, so I didn't use any – it still looks like a CF-100.  I seem to have back luck with canopies. The masking left some adhesive behind, and I dumped a bunch of thinner on it to clean it off – big mistake, as it cracked in 2 places!  Add one more thing to the 'don't do that' list.
I couldn't decide between bare wing tips, rocket pods, or tip tanks, so I did all of them.  I glued a pair of sewing pins into each wing tip and made corresponding keyholes in the rocket pods and fuel tanks - it can be displayed in 3 different configurations.  Maybe someday I'll make the small practice rocket pods (I bet those will never be available for purchase!).
Paints are Model Master enamels – I'm still not brave enough to try lacquer.  The kit decals almost made me cry – too much ink, colours off-register in 2 dimensions, nacelle art not matching actual photos.  There were 2 copies included, as if that compensated.  Actually, it did – I was able to salvage a fin flash from each sheet to use instead of the wrongly shaped ones from the sheet I managed to find.  I modelled 18551 from 410 "Cougar" Sqn here at Uplands.
Peter de Salis
CF-100

CF-100

CF-100


WORKS-IN-PROGRESS


Marianne (FeR Miniatures, 1:12)
A resin bust of Marianne, the personification of the French Republic, in 1:12 scale. The bust was three pieces and went together nicely, though a little work was needed on the join of her left arm to the torso. The right arm with the sword fit well enough that I could leave it unglued and paint in sub-assemblies, which made painting the sword and the hair much easier.
Painted with acrylics -- mostly a combination of Reaper and P3 miniature paints, Vallejo Metal Color (sword only), and acrylic artist inks from the art store. The skin tones and the robes were done using my usual approach to painting busts -- zenithal prime, followed by wet-blending, followed by airbrush glazing. These secrets may be spilled in detail in a future issue of RT, so devoted readers with an interest in painting busts will want to keep an eye out. I've included a picture from before and after the airbrush glaze; you can see how much the airbrush can help smooth out a wet-blended base coat.
I played with a lot of purples and blues in the shadows, finding purple to be a nice shadow colour for the khakis and ivory tones in the robe. On the skin, my main shadow colour was a mix of Payne's Grey (blue-black) and Flame Red artist inks, which made for a very interesting desaturated purple tone when mixed together. I wasn't satisfied with my initial attempt on the skin, so I reinforced the highlights and shadows and went for another round of airbrush glazing to blend them together and really cranked up the contrast, which made for a much more striking result.
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish her this month -- Aside from a few small touchups, I need to get a placard printed for the plinth. Sadly, the local libraries and print shops are all closed or on reduced service due to the COVID lockdown, so I'll have to wait until after lockdown to finish her. Hopefully that will be before our French-themed contest in March...
Brian LaTour



Simca 5cv (Tamiya 1:35)
I had decided to participate in one of the 24 hour builds which was taking place on the weekend of January 30-31. I picked the 1:35 scale Simca 5cv by Tamiya, because it would fit well with my Citroen I finished last month. I ended up cancelling out due to other commitments, but I now have all the parts washed and cleaned, and a solid coat of chrome over the bumpers. I will probably build it during the year, once I go back to having spare time. Right now, COVID is affecting me in a good way, because I finally gained a full-time position for the rest of the year! However, I miss the time needed to sit down and build anything new. If my new class ever stops acting up, and my teaching partner is amenable, maybe I can get back to doing student builds this spring!
Ken




Flettner Fl-282 V-6 Kolibri synchrocopter (MiniArt 1:35)
Hot on the heels of finishing my 1:35 autogyro, I dove in right away to another MiniArt 1:35 kit: this time a Flettner Fl-282 V-6 Kolibri synchrocopter. There are 4 different variants offered in separate kits, I chose to build the earliest variant available. Going in, I hoped that I would enjoy the great kit quality that I enjoyed on the previous MiniArt kit, and so far, so good! This time I threw off the self-imposed shackles of doing an OOB (out-of-box) build; who was I kidding, indeed? This kit proved to be a bit more challenging with origami-like structures that require very carely alignment and cementing to ensure proper angles; I could easily see one mistake early on resulting in improper fitment as more things were added on. The molding of some parts is extremely delicate, requiring very careful part removal from frames followed by careful clean-up.  When I got to the internal radial engine, the gloves came off.  I plan to pose the model with engine bay panels open, which meant that the engine would be seen, which meant that I could go ahead and add a bit more detail. I am adding missing sparkplugs (14) with associated wiring, cylinder head oil pressure lines, and other odds & sods for a bit of visual interest. I am in contact with a model developer who made his own 1:18 Kolibri as a 3D printed kit (available through Shapeways); he has been an absolute fountain of knowledge. It also turns out that two of my modeling friends have also built variants of this kit in the past, and liked it.  At this time, I am part way through the engine assembly, just about to move on to the transmission and control rod structures. Onwards and upwards!  (Aircraft pun intended.) The full build is here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/gpAuWD5ugRvdJaAz9
Glenn Cauley




Ever had a modelling project balloon to something that seems out of control? Yeah, I know, us modellers would never let that happen...
Well from last month's 'in progress' and RT Project #2, it now seems like a huge styrene snowball rolling downhill at myself!! In the great zone of postal mysteries are 4, yes 4, of the newest IBG Diamond Ts heading my way; why 4 I hear you ask? Well, Canada had several of the “201” WB trucks, not just the general service ones for Bailey gear, but also a crane ( using the crane from the Airfix recovery set), 2 versions of workshops (one with a metal housing the other frame & canvas), ones with lifting gear to haul Bailey pontoon boats, folding ones and rigid built versions, Canada also used a tractor hauling a tank transport trailer very similar to the one used with Scammell tractors!! So one can see the NEED for more trucks, and the bonus with these latest versions they have a 50 cal mount on the cab, so some weapons for use on other vehicles!! I have had some help from modellers on our Braille Scale DG and one of them lives in the Borden area and supplied me with some great info on the machinery trucks, thanks Neil. Yes I know there is a real one in the War Museum, but, this pandemic thing is a problem!!??
In the first picture you will see 3 truck frames; the Diamond Ts had 2 standard sizes – “151” & “172”, we (Canada) had the "201” WB created and the tank transporters had a 179” WB, all the kits have the smallest one! This is why to do any of the 'other' trucks you need to stretch the frame, so 17.6 mm for the 201 WB truck, 9.87mm for the 179 WB truck and 7.4mm for 172 WB truck; that's a lot of math so if anyone feels the need to check it, feel free, I was wrong once last year!? In the pic are from left to right the 151, 179, & 201 WB frames. I used Evergreen HO scale strips, a 2 x 4 strip to go into the inside of the 'U' shaped frame then to replace the outer portion a 2 x 10 strip, but in reality it needs a 3 x 10 piece so I glued a 1 x 10 on top the get the right thickness. The truck box is being scratch built also using Evergreen plastic, and the plan (?) is to build some Bailey Bridge sections as a load?!
Graham Mansell



X-Wing fighter (BanDai 1:48)
The X-Wing fighter is a motion, light and sound effects kit. It is a ‘lego-like’ construct which is molded in several colours so as to provide the assembler (I have purposely not used the word builder in this context) to put the kit together without the need for paint. The X-Wing sits on a stand which provides power and control to the effects which are resident in the electronics/ motor box inside the fighter.
I use the phrase ‘lego-like’ as the pieces are fitted together by cleverly designed connectors that snap together, not that the pieces are shaped or assemble like Lego blocks. However, as a model, it suffers from this style of assembly in that the pieces do not always line up in a smooth surface, similar to Lego constructs. I used Tamiya cement to hold the parts together so I could sand unevenness and fill the crevasses that occurred between some of the parts. Unfortunately, this required me to rescribe panel lines and replace raised details. Bandai provides stick stickers for the markings as well as a number of the coloured panels. They also provided the same markings as water-slide decals; however, the decal appears to be pixilated as if printed versus silk-screened. Except for a few decals (helmet, droid and spiral on laser cannons), I masked and airbrushed all the panels and markings primarily using AK Real Colour paint. The model has been gloss coated in preparation for panel lining and will be given a dull coat before finishing the weathering.
Bill Eggleton




Inbox review KV-2 heavy cartoon tank (Xinshi Hobby 1:egg scale)
This is a first peek inbox review of the Xinshi Hobby kid's snap-tight cartoon kit of the Soviet KV-2 heavy tank from the Great Patriotic War, with decals of cute furry animals. Xinshi kit #07317Z  (or a big "1" in a circle). Despite being a kid's kit, it is remarkably high-tech. This is a beautifully slide-moulded kit with lots of details in an insulated double-hulled box. Mine showed up from China by post in about 4-5 weeks.  I can picture those cute furry animals rolling over Nazi scum now! It is a total delight.  The inbox review video is below and at this link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=RBbw9o2Gb1Y
John Clearwater